Tuesday, June 3, 2008

My First Original Recipe

This was yesterday's lunch. I hope you guys like it - my mom didn't care for it but I really enjoyed it. If anyone dares to try it, please be honest in your opinion :) I didn't realize how unattractive wild rice is in a picture, but it tasted good and added a wonderful nutty flavor to the dish. The dessert didn't exactly work out - it was OK, but I'd never post the recipe...yet. I am thinking about developing it into a mousse. And not just the common chocolate tofu mousse - cocoa coffee tofu mousse. All right, so it's not as fancy as I'm trying to make it sound. But I'm hopeful that it will turn out in one way or another.











WILD RICE & NECTARINE SALAD
This salad would be delicious on a salad mix, baby spinach or romaine leaves (pictured). I do recommend eating this salad with greens because it would be quite odd on its own. The bitterness of the balsamic vinegar dressing is balanced with the sweet nectarine. Serves one.

  • 1 cup of cooked wild rice
  • 1T olive oil
  • 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp. poppyseeds
  • 1/4 tsp. paprika
  • cayenne pepper, to taste (I used just a dash)
  • 1 nectarine

Whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, poppyseeds, paprika, and cayenne pepper, if desired. It might take some effort to get the vinegar and oil to blend, but make sure that the color is homogenous. Pour the dressing over the rice and mix well. Slice the nectarine into bite-sized pieces and stir it into the rice. Serve over lettuce, etc. (see italics).

6 comments:

ChocolateCoveredVegan  

It doesn't look at all unattractive to me... but then again, maybe I am distracted by the delicious-looking chocolate mousse ;o)

fruity  

mmm, what an interesting combo, rice and nectarines. The mousse sounds interesting; I have yet to have a vegan mousse.

I'm glad you liked the "Story of Stuff". It had a profound effect on me also. Please share the link with your family and friends!!

Rose  

Your recipe sounds delish! I've got to try it someday :)

Even though I am 16, I still don't have my permit or my license. Last weekend, my dad started teaching me how to drive so I've still got lots more to learn before I even apply for the test.

Rose  

Thanks for you comment :) Those cut little orange thingies are actually glass pebbles that my mom uses for decoration purposes

Rose  

I meant to say "cute" not "cut" sorry!

Patti  

Ohhh, this looks really interesting and delicious! It's really cool how you experiment with all these vegetarian foods..props to you! :)

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP