Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Spicy Vegetable Salad

When I say spicy, I mean it. If you can't take the heat in this dish, top it with some yogurt, extra cukes, or have some cool water on hand. Also - this is my entry for the Living La Vida Local blogging even over at Muffin Love. Check it out & wish me luck! Sorry abou the not-so-appetizing picture...I didn't realize I hadn't captured "the perfect photo" until after I'd eaten it. A star (*) next to the ingredient means that it was purchased at my local farmer's market. A side note - I am now on the Foodie Blogroll!

SPICY VEGETABLE SALAD
This easy dish goes great with any kind of grain. Makes good leftovers, too. Serves 2-3.

  • 1 red bell pepper, sliced into bite-sized piece*
  • 1 onion, sliced into spears*
  • 1-2 small pickling cucumbers*
  • 2 large carrots, peeled & sliced into circles
  • olive oil
  • ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
  • ¼ tumeric

Sautee the onion and carrots in olive oil and seasoning until the onions are slightly brown. Add the red bell pepper and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a plate, top with pickling cucumbers & enjoy.

10 comments:

Chef Jeena  

This is something my hubby and me would love to eat. Looks really healthy Katie. :-)

Robin  

Hi Katie- thanks for stopping by my blog. You have a great blog here! Great pics! Plantains are great. Slice in 1/2 inch slices on a diagonal and fry in a little oil until each side is golden. Great plain but you can put some cheese on them like in some of the Hispanic countries. I like plain!

What's Cookin Chicago  

Looks like a great refreshing salad for summer!

CookiePie  

This sounds so refreshing! And it's great that you're buying local - good for you!!

ChocolateCoveredVegan  

Love spicy food!

I just realized I don't have you on my blogroll... don't know how I missed it, but I'll remedy this soon!!!

Robin  

Katie- Olive oil for frying your plantains should be fine if you like the taste. Some people avoid frying certain foods with olive oil because of the taste. Plantains are a bit on the sweet side. I used canola oil. But I think olive oil would taste nice, I like it. Always fry using a thermometer. Olive oil's smoke point is 410F (where there is smoke there is fire-or the flash point which can be very close behind the smoke point) so you are safe to use olive oil since you will only need to fry the plantains from 325-350 degrees. See this site for more info on making plantains.
http://laylita.com/recipes/?s=plantains&submit=Go
Sorry to be so techy but I did blow myself up in lab once. ONCE! Let me know how it goes!
You can also look at this site as well
http://www.oliveoilsource.com/olive_recipes_.htm


Have fun!

CookiePie  

Hi Katie -

Daring Bakers is fun - you should join up! Every month, someone picks a recipe, something on the more involved side (last month is was a Danish braid, the month before was opera cake), and everyone makes it over the course of the month. Then, on the same day, everyone reveals their results.

If you're interested, visit the site and email the administrators:
http://daringbakersblogroll.blogspot.com/

Hope to "see" you there!

Chris F.  

Looks yummy! I like spicy foods.

Sarah  

That sounds like a great summery dish! I am trying to eat more "locally" now. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

CookiePie  

Hi Katie -

Re: Daring Bakers, the Alternative Bakers is part of DB, but it's for people with dietary restrictions, vegans, etc. No need to buy a specific book - each challenge, which is posted on a private message board (members-only access), lists the full recipe.

Hope you join up!

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP