Friday, September 12, 2008

Hearty Southern Granola

I find that I am eating to fuel my body these days. Carbs, protein, energy bars. I have come to accept the equation: food + body = energy, energy = volleyball success. Speaking of success...we won our first game on Wednesday! We have an all-day tournament tomorrow, starting at 8:00 am. I am excited and nervous at the same time.



HEARTY SOUTHERN GRANOLA
This simple granola has a nice nutty, fruity flavor and is not too sweet. It provides great energy and will keep you satisfied. Makes one large or two small servings.

  • 1 cup GF rolled oats
  • ¼ cup pecans
  • ¼ cup raisins
  • 1 peach
  • ½ tsp. sugar
  • ¼ tsp. vanilla
  • ¼ tsp. cinnamon
  • ½ tsp. arrowroot starch, if needed

Preheat oven to 300ºF. Stir together the oats, pecans and raisins. Put the sliced peach in a food processor and process until it turns into a thick liquid – I left the skin on, but you can remove it if you like. In a non-stick pan, simmer the peach, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon until they are the consistency of applesauce, but a little syrupy. If the mixture is too thin, add the arrowroot starch to thicken it up. Stir the peach sauce over the oats, pecans & raisins, stirring well to cover completely. Bake for 5 minutes on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Rotate tray; stir granola. Continue baking for 20-30 minutes, or until the granola is crunchy. Serve with fresh peaches.

25 comments:

Anonymous  

omg! I totally want to make this for breakfast ASAP! Maybe I'll make a large batch and use it all week long for fast breakfasts =)


Congrats on winning the game!!

Jaime  

i never realized that making granola was so easy until recently! what a great snack :) i love granola with yogurt

That Girl  

I love homemade granola! Especially in the winter.

Anonymous  

This sounds so tasty and easy too!

Love, the montage of photos... beautiful work!

alaina  

i've never made granola before, but this looks so simple i just might have to try it!

Hey Harriet  

Congrats on your volleyball win! Yay you! Hope the tournament was also a success! I've never been a big fan of granola but must say that yours looks yummy :)

Andrea  

These pictures are beautiful. Really, they are. I love the bright colors you're using for the backgrounds. That's something I've been meaning to do, stock up on a few bright fabrics. I'll definitely be checking back often!

Anonymous  

This looks really good. I'm a carb junkie myself. All I eat is bread, muffins, bread... you get the point haha

Pam  

I LOVE granola but still have never made my own. Your recipe sounds really good and simple to make. I think I'll be trying this.

Alexa  

Your granola looks yummy. It is full of great energy and flavor.

Sylvie  

Congrats on the win. What a wonderful looking way to start the day!

Isle Dance  

Absolutely beautiful! :o)

fleur  

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog, this breakfast looks delicious, Im going have to make it when I can find some cherries in the shops - they are not easy to find here.

Prudy  

Congrats on your volley success. That granola sounds like the perfect pre game breakfast.

What's Cookin Chicago  

Hope your volleyball tournament went well over the weekend! Your granola looks awesome... definitely something I know will keep my energy up!

Anonymous  

this looks absolutely healthy ... and nice colours too!

Dee  

Congrats on the match! The granola's looking like a winner too :)

FOODalogue  

Hi Katie, I don't know how you found your way to my blog...but that's how I found you. I'm doubly gratified by your comment about photography now that I've seen yours. You're a pro! Thanks - please come back and visit again. I'll be sure to do the same.

JAMJARSUPERSTAR  

Congrats about the volleyball! And nice looking granola!
Love the blog
Ciao

http://jamajrsuperstar.blogspot.com
http://scarletsculturegarden.blogspot.com

The Diva on a Diet  

What a great idea to use the peach to sweeten the granola. Love it! I'm going to try this one for sure, it looks wonderful.

Thanks for the comment on my blog ... I'm so glad it led me here because I'm loving your recipes

Congrats on winning the game and hope you enjoyed the tournament.

Cheers!

rachel  

Love granola, can't think of a better way to begin my day than with a bowl of this deliciousness.
Hope you won!

April  

This sounds really good!! I have never made granola, now I am convinced!

Simply...Gluten-free  

What pretty pictures!

Anonymous  

That looks delicious, Katie.

Anonymous  

otswatches.com Le 1er Bijoutier Francais en ligne en Montres et Bijoux - Toute la collection de montres des grandes marques de montres - Montres de sport,
[url=http://repliquemontre.ucheapwatches.com/rolex-daytona-montre-c-6.html][img]http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac223/Photobucket2025/rolexdatetona.jpg[/img][/url]
see [url=http://repliquemontre.ucheapwatches.com/porshe-montre-c-33.html]porshe Montres[/url]

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP