Friday, October 17, 2008

Rustic Spelt Toaster Pops

I promised you toaster pops over a month ago. They are simple, they are rustic, and they are extremely customizable. The top one is made with Croatian fig spread and pistachios; the bottom is made with my mom's peach jam.

Rustic Spelt Toaster Pops
These toaster pops are a delicious, healthy alternative to Poptarts.

  • 1 cup spelt flour
  • 3T cold water
  • 2T (heaping!) of applesauce
  • 1T hazelnut oil
  • dash of salt
  • jelly or jam of your choice

In a large bowl, sift together the spelt flour and salt. With a fork, stir in the applesauce and hazelnut oil until the mixture is course. Add the water slowly, mixing well until the dough forms a ball. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and roll it into a rectangle, 1/8 inch thick. Cut out rectangles that are 2x3 inches in size. Use all the of the dough. Gently spread your jelly or jam of half of the pieces of crust. Put the other pieces on top of them and crimp the edges. If you want to add designs on top of the pops, be sure to do so before placing them on top of the pieces with jelly. Bake on parchment paper for 6-8 minutes.

16 comments:

Cakelaw  

Yummo - applesauce, fig spread and pistachio sounds like a killer combination, so if it's healthy, even better. I love the one with the heart shaped cutout!

Virginia  

aww, so cute! and healthy!

Anonymous  

Those are beautiful!

Rose  

Oh my gosh, these are perfect! I used to really like eating Poptarts back then even though I knew they were bad for me. Thanks for the recipe!

Hey Harriet  

Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. Yummo! And they look so cute!

Nicole  

What a fabulous idea! The heart is too cute.

That Girl  

I don't think I've ever made anything with spelt flour

Anonymous  

I'm making these ASAP! Wait...how about you just send me some ;)

Anonymous  

What a clever idea- I've always liked pop tarts, but this seems so much better homemade.

Noob Cook  

They are so adorable, especially the one with the heart in the center =D

Anonymous  

They're so pretty! Kellogg, eat your heart out!

LizNoVeggieGirl  

Deliciousness!!!

Anonymous  

these look amazing, do you think I could make it with whole wheat flour instead? Its all I have

Isle Dance  

I adore them! And your new blog look! Beautiful. :o)

Anonymous  

Wow, the toaster pops are absolutely gorgeous - and so scrumptious looking! I would definitely take these over Pop Tarts any day of the week - yummmm!

Dee  

Great recipe! I'm going to keep this in mind for sure, Katie.

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP