Friday, August 15, 2008

My First Day (The Raw Vegan Way)

A great first day and a great lunch. I got a new, bento-like lunchbox that I just love. It fits in my locker (always a plus) and it is a good size for me. For lunch today, I had romaine leaves topped with fresh figs (right) and a raw avocado-fig tartlet (left, recipe below.) It was very tasty. I froze the tartlet over night so that it would defrost before lunch without getting soggy.

I am going to a friend's party tonight & I work both jobs this weekend, so I will catch up on comments as soon as I can. What did you have for lunch today?


AVOCADO-FIG TARTLET
A flavorful, creamy raw tartlet. Makes one tartlet.

CRUST

  • ½ cup of walnuts, soaked for 6-8 hours & dried over night
  • 3-4 dried Black Mission figs

Pulse the walnuts and dried figs in a food processor until the mixture is sticky and forms a ball easily. Cover a tartlet pan with waxed paper and press the crust mixture into the pan, distributing evenly along the bottom and sides.

FILLING

  • ½ an avocado
  • 5 fresh figs
  • 1/8 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/8 tsp. stevia extract

Put the avocado and figs in a food processor and pulse ingredients together until the consistency is even and creamy.

TO ASSEMBLE
Scoop filling in to crust and smooth the top. You can pipe the top if you want a fancier look. Store in the refrigerator for no longer than two days.

20 comments:

Rose  

I was craving raw food all day today and yesterday. I think it may have been the heat or something. Anyway, your lunch looks so delicious and refreshing. I love, love, love figs!! The only bad thing is that they're not widely available here for some reason so I usually stick to the dried kind.

Anonymous  

I LOVE Culver's! Their concrete is just too good to pass up. And I really want a bento lunch box because they look so cute.

I really enjoy seeing those tartlets that you have been making. They just look so exotic, but have such simple ingredients!

Anonymous  

Good luck with the diet change... I could never be a raw vegan guy but wish you the best of luck.

ChocolateCoveredVegan  

I love bento boxes-- so cute. And fresh figs are one of the best foods EVER!

Liliana  

This tartlette looks absolutely delicious and quick to make. I hope there are still figs at the market today!

Ruby Red  

A tartlet for lunch?! That sounds amazing! Figs are one of my favorite fruits, so it's too bad I've only tried them dried and not fresh. (Calymnara and Turkish are my faves...)

Anonymous  

I'm dying to try fresh figs! I only can get the dried kind here =(


I love your lunchbox...I'm still brown bagging it

Mallory Elise  

hey missy--wow you start school already? when i was in high school we never started until after labor day! I always just used tupperware for absolutely everything at lunch! who wants nice things to be smashed--haha.

bonne chance a l'ecole!

Hey Harriet  

Wow! You sure pack a nice lunch for yourself! Yum! Thanks for sharing that recipe also. It looks like something that even I could manage to make :)

VeganCowGirl  

yum yum - great lunch - and I am going to give the tarlet recipe a try tonight, but I might substitute the figs with raspberries.

Enjoy getting back to the grind of it all, and have fun with your raw food change. I am in a similar state of mind, and have been aiming for 70% per day, but, with heading back to work in a week, I might find myself doing to the same thing.

LizNoVeggieGirl  

Yet another delectable tart!! Have fun eating raw, I love it :0)

HangryPants  

A friend of mine sells stuff on etsy, too. It's such a cool idea. I want to look at your stuff more, but the jewelry I saw is beautiful.

Heather

Nicole  

I love bento boxes! They are so cute. The tart sounds so good!

alaina  

thank you!

i HATE burning rice. that's the worst, ugh. those figs look so yummy! my fig tree is growing lame figs this year :(

Shandy  

I LOVE your tart and what a great idea freezing it ahead of time! Beautiful picture too. I just found out that I love figs so your salad is a great inspiration for my own lunch tomorrow. =D

Unknown  

Wow, avocado and fig sounds like an interesting combination for sure!

Alexa  

What a great lunch! I would be obsessing about it all morning and dreaming about it all afternoon. :-)

HiHoRosie  

Yummy! That looks great!

Nicole  

Hi! I just saw your comment on my blog.. I use a digital rebel XT. I just got it a month or so ago so I've just been playing around with it! It's so great, I love it.

test it comm  

The walnut and fig crust sounds good and so does the avocado and fig filling.

  © Blogger templates 'Sunshine' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP